Does your sunscreen work?
An investigation of nearly 1,000 brand-name sunscreen products finds that 4 out of 5 contain chemicals that may pose health hazards or don't adequately protect skin from the sun's damaging rays. Some of the worst offenders are leading brands like Coppertone, Banana Boat, and Neutrogena.
More than a million cases of skin cancer are diagnosed in the U.S. every year, but FDA still hasn't finalized sunscreen standards first announced 30 years ago. Click here to tell FDA you're tired of waiting. Meanwhile, companies are free to claim but not provide broad spectrum protection. Until FDA requires that all sunscreens be safe and effective, Environmental Working Group's comprehensive sunscreen guide—including a list of 143 products that offer very good sun protection—fills in the gaps.
Sunscreen lovers may not have to be disappointed, however. EWG says there are 143 products consumers can use that offer a very good sun protection with ingredients and pose only minimal health risks if any.
The top 10 recommended are listed below:
1. Keys Soap Solar Rx Therapeutic Sunblock, SPF 30
2. TruKid Sunny Days Facestick Mineral Sunscreen UVA/UVB Broad Spectrum, WATERPROOF SPF 30+
3. California Baby Sunblock Stick No Fragrance, SPF 30+
4. Badger Sunscreen, SPF 30
5. Marie Veronique Skin Therapy Sun Serum
6. Lavera Sunscreen Neutral, SPF 40
7. Vanicream Sunscreen, SPF 35
8. UV Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
9. Sun Science Sport Formula, SPF 30
10. Soleo Organics Sunscreen all natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
Source: Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Safety Database